Meeting Minutes for September 21, 2022
- Faithful Navigator Caleb Strittmatter opened the meeting at 1900 hours. There were 22 Brother Knights with ID cards and rosaries in attendance.
Roll Call of Officers
||Father Greg Spencer
|1st Year Trustee
|2nd Year Trustee
|3rd Year Trustee
- Meeting’s opening prayer was led by SK Deacon George Keenan
Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag
- The opening Ode, America the Beautiful, was sung.
Reading of the Minutes
- Minutes of the August meeting were read by Scribe Krawczyk. A motion was made to accept the minutes as read; the motion was seconded and passed by unanimous vote.
Report of the Faithful Friar (Fr. Spencer)
Report of Faithful Comptroller (SK Decker)
- A report of income and expense items of the past month was provided.
Report of the Faithful Purser (SK Philips)
- The financials reported can be requested by contacting the Faithful Purser.
Report of Committees
Membership Report / Reading of Applications / Balloting (SK Decker)
- There was one 4th Degree application present, Jon Reddinher of council 12281. A motion to accept was made, second and motion passed by unanimous vote.
Color Guard Report / RSVP (SK Hargett)
- No Color Guard report
- No RSVP report
- The FN reported that CC Hargett was to organize the Honor Guard for Tom Widerman's funeral.
Veterans Support - (SK Ludgate)
- Mud-Run: There were 250 entrants and it is run twice a year. The FN and Marco Vialpando supported the Mud Run by manning stations along the route. In all it was a tremendous success. Next Mud Run will be in the Spring 2023.
- Honor Flight: The next Honor Flight will be in the Spring 2023. Stand by for details. Possibly a speaker at the October meeting.
- Veterans Parade: The Veterans Parade will be on 12 November; details to follow.
In God We Trust - Deanery support - (SK Strittmatter)
- The FN received a letter from Fr. John McGee with seven points of interest in the Scholarship Program.
Flag Ceremonies - (SK Decker)
- Flag ceremonies were conducted at St Mary’s school on 08 September and at St Mark’s school on 14 September. It was conducted by several SKs and well attended by the respective school children.
Fundraisers (SK Decker for SK Macaluso)
- We are conducting a raffle fundraiser to supporting the veteran community. Tickets were handed to be given to each council's GK to sell within their community. The tickets are due back by 04 November and the prizes being offered are Lowes Foods gift cards in denominations of $500, $250 and $125.
Fraternal Social Report (SK Weisgerber)
- SK Weisberger was able to obtain 30 tickets to the Annie show at the Wilson Center on 28 January at 7PM. To date, 25 tickets were sold for $55 each. If you are interested in attending please contact SK Weisgerber.
- An attempt was made to fix the date for our Christmas Party at the South Beach Grill on Wrightsville Beach.
Trustees Report (SKs Backes, Macaluso, Plarre)
- SK Decker announced the assembly’s website is nearing completion and will be ready before the next meeting. The website address is kofc2017.org.
- The FN introduced the concept of regalia purchase assistance by our assembly. The goal is to encourage four members to purchase new regalia with 50% of the cost reimbursed by our assembly. This is targeted to be done for the next three years. Depending on participation, we will potentially have twelve members with new regalia to support public events and funerals. One of the stipulations to receive the financial incentive is that the member receiving the assistance make a good faith effort to attend functions where the regalia is needed for professional demeanor. This motion was made and passed.
- A separate motion was made to recycle retiring swords to the new SKs who purchase the regalia.
- A separate discussion was held re the use of the proper use in recycling capes within the protocols established by Supreme.
- A separate discussion was held re procession procedures for the 12 November Veterans parade; including how to deal with inclement weather.
- Wreaths Across America: The assembly will donate $500 for the Wreaths Across America campaign with flags being placed on 17 December.
Report of Third Degree Councils
- Volunteers at Steven Cort (did not catch the rest of name)
- Coat Drive (did not catch the name of drive or when)
- March for Life is February.
11817 St. Stanislaus
- Polish festival will be held on weekend of 05 November from 11am-5pm.
- The installation of new officers was held after Mass and followed with a social.
- Collected $5,000 in a Coats for Kids fundraiser – will be able to purchase 240 coats.
- Initiated a program to provide $1,000 of blankets for the homeless.
- On 15 October, there will be a pasta dinner with dine-in or take-out. Tickets
- Conducted two service projects in form of assembling furniture and picnic tables for the school and mission church, Christ the King.
- The Council is also hosting a quarterly Mass on 24 September with all Liturgical roles done by Brother Knights.
12281 All Saints
- Week of 24/25 September there will be a spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the purchase of regalia; this will allow for a $100 rebate on the purchase.
- Sunday 25 September is the parish picnic.
- Monday 26 September will be a golf tournament at Old Point Golf Course.
- Yard sale - If you have any items you wish to discard please contact SK Cappello and he will pick up your items for the yard sale.
12885 St. Therese
- On 01 October, they will hold a ham dinner in honor of St Therese’s feast day.
- On 01 October here will be a bocce tournament at Empie Park. There will be three teams from All Saints, three from St.Stan each and two from St. Mark. Bring your own chair, drink, food and watch the fun.
Brothers in Need
- PSD and DM Bob Grabsky passed away on 20 September.
- SK Tom Widermer passed away September 16, 2022. An honor guard was request for both the visitation and funeral at St. Mary on 22 September.
Good of the Order
- SK Bio related his experience of seeing the vigil conducted every Wednesday at the corner of 17th Street and Medical Center Drive (near Planed Parenthood).
- Meeting adjourned at 2000 hours.